Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 18:48:25 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Lee Crites (AEI)" <leec@adam.adonai.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCO (was Re: hi terry)

> First off, I don't know where the "wishlist" is, if, indeed, it
> exists as an entity which can be "seen."  I really haven't done a

Not really, it's more of a collective conciousness thing - the
sum total of all the various "gee, wouldn't it be neat if..."
postings that go through -hackers and -current.

> Second, I don't think anyone will just present something as
> complicated as clustering to the group and say:  "clustering is
> cool, please check out my FreeBSD implementation!"  There has to
> be a lot of groundwork laid and a fair amount of emphasis from
> the top down before any person (or group of people) would take on
> something of that size.  Now I think I understand what Jordan was

Fair enough, but I'm also not sure that there's anyone "at the top"
who's even done this kind of work so you're not likely to get any
genuine leadership there.  We're a pretty sharp bunch of guys as they
go, but our talents don't extend into every domain of computer
science. :) If someone wanted to take on a leadership role with
something as substantive as clustering, I'd say they'd simply be given
the reins and told to go for it, much as John Fieber was with the Web
pages or John Birrell with the Alpha port.  You don't need to be a
member of core to lead a substantive effort in FreeBSD - far from it.

> Third, the potential list of "somebodies" who could really "do
> the job" is fairly limited.  While I do have a copy of the entire
> tree available to me, it is really those of the core team which
> are doing the bulk of the development.  Somewhat over a year ago

The bulk of the development in certain areas, yes, but see above for
at least one of those areas for which core really can't be relied upon
for leadership.

> I sent out my second message offering to help on a project.  It
> was literally the first time I had offered free help and had the
> offer turned down.  Jordan responded to my message of dismay

I'm not sure it was quite that cut-and-dried, though my memory on this
one fades.  I think it was more a case of you wishing to help and us
having nobody lined up *for* you to help, so we had to simply say "uh,
there's no existing team for you to play on, sorry!"

> What someone like me would have to do is develop something, lock,
> stock, and barrel, then present it -- as an outsider -- to
> someone on the inside, which I will have to convince to take it
> on, in order to get it approved and integrated.  I'll do that for
> something rather small.  Perhaps a driver or utility.  But, quite
> frankly, I won't put in the time to do anything close to clusters
> without some significant support from the "inside."

I think all of us would like to see clustering, just as we'd all like
to see FreeBSD running on the ALPHA or the SPARC.  However, just as is
the case in those two examples, we lack the manpower physically within
core to do anything substantive about it and have to rely on outside
leadership to take things forward.  If you came up with a really
decent clustering implementation which didn't bodge the heck out of
FreeBSD then I think there'd be no question about it being brought in.
If you made a real hash out of it then, on the other hand, I daresay
you'd be first among those asking that it be left out of the tree
until a superior solution could be implemented.  It really comes down
to quality of work, and (for the most part) this is no different than
things are done under Linux.  Somebody writes something that the users
really like and sticks it on an FTP site someplace and, given a little
time, it becomes canon.  If the users turn their noses up at it, on
the other hand, then the choice is also pretty clear.

> So we're back to my original comment: those people who control
> the direction of FreeBSD need to take a step back and see where
> the industry is moving and see where they want it to be.

We'd like FreeBSD to be many places and many things.  The issue still
remains, however, a far more pragmatic assessment of where we CAN be.
It does no good to wish for pie-in-the-sky features that have little
chance of happening when we could be spending our time in pursuit of
far more tangible goals.

					Jordan