Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 20:52:40 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Maxime Henrion <mhenrion@cybercable.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: config and config -r

--9Jdw4pA1x1k2W7MG

Maxime Henrion wrote:

>     As I didn't want to recompile the whole stuff, I used a config and
> not a config -r to build a new kernel, after having changed its
> configuration. I removed several devices and I thought that won't cause
> any problem, as the objects files for these devices won't be linked into
> the kernel.

Did you do a "make depend"?  I personally have never had a problem with
just "config" rather than "config -r".

>     But after rebooting on this new kernel, I had a page fault before
> any kernel message :/ Is there anything to check in order to know if I
> can use a config instead of a config -r ? If using a config without the
> -r option is dangerous, I think it shouldn't be the default. Is it the
> case ?

"-r" used to be the default, you had to use "-n" to get the current
behaviour of _not_ removing the directory.  This was changed 2 years
ago...

| revision 1.20
| date: 1998/02/18 04:15:04;  author: eivind;  state: Exp;  lines: +9 -13
| Make '-n' the default, and introduce a new flag '-r' to get old
| behaviour.  Also indicate which option(s) are unknown if there are any
| old-style options.

--=20
Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D
FreeBSD Documentation Project /