Date:      Mon, 16 Jan 2012 08:57:02 +0100
From:      vwe@freebsd.org
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bugbusters@freebsd.org, Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Gnats port disappeared??

On 01/16/12 01:44, Mark Linimon wrote:
> I'm kind of afraid to touch the thing at this point.  Maybe some
> of the other boys feel differently.
>
> mcl

Mark,

as we feel gnats should be abandoned already for a very long time, I
don't think it makes sense to fix anything. It might be time to decide
for either "upgrade" (I don't imagine how much work the procedure of
upgrading might be) gnats to version 4 or switch away from that tool
completely (I think it's long overdue but don't feel the need to put
pressure on it).

I think everybody agrees to switch away from gnats but there's not much
need to press on that as we live a comfortable (but not lucky) life
without changing much.

As there's no pressure to change, we can waste our time in many
different ways much better.

On the other side, we can (steal|grab) a bit from our friends @netbsd as
they've hacked their own version of gnats (I think they're using
gnats4), that uses an SQL database as the backend and their frontend
also looks much nicer. I'm pretty sure joerg@ is our friend to grab the
code from.

To come to the point: The port gnats isn't there anymore. clusteradm
needed to do too much work to grab that port from the attic just to
change some bits and manipulating files on disk of an already installed
port / package isn't the thing I feel comfortable with (it awfully blows
consistency-check). But that might be just me. Probably clusteradm and
the other bugmeister' feel different and are happy to take the danger
and do the work.

Take care!

Volker