Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 02:48:19 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2100s or 5400s ??

> Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 05:28:37 -0400
> From: "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
>
> On Monday, May 27, 2002, at 04:21 , RJ45 wrote:
>

> > Hello,
> > I wanted to ask if Adaptec 2100s is well supported by FreeBSD or not.
> > I have to buy a mail server with RAID capability.
> > I have seen Adaptec 5400s is supported by FreeBSD but it is a high
> > profile and high cost product not affordable for me.
> > I have searched around without success I only found out 5400s is well
> > supported but I do not know if 2100s is, and I Am interested to know it.
> > thank you very much
> >

> I've been using 1 for over a year in production and another just
> installed in a production machine.  Both for mirroring, not striping.
> Note that the RAM cache on these is not battery backed.
>
> best
> Chad

Bear in mind that there are models between the ones mentioned, some
of which either come with or can be upgraded to battery-backed cache.
The following Adaptec cards are based on DPT designs:
3200s
3210s
3400s
3410s

Other supported adapters include:
Mylex Acceleraid
LSI/AMI Megaraid

Nice thing about the Adaptec/DPT cards is that at least at the
moment, they're the only ones that have FreeBSD-specific control
utilities available so you can monitor or change the status of the
array without rebooting.  I haven't tried it yet.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium