Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 23:55:47 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "David Johnson" <djohnson@acuson.com>, "C. McArdle" <cmca@cmcardle.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD & GNU

This is rather inaccurate!

For starters, there were more than 3 projects.  For example, Minix, that
was a Unix-line operating system.  And, as far as creating from scratch,
no way!  The overall BSD-ported-from-the-mainframe project was never to
build from scratch.  It has always been to re-use as much as possible the
original free code that was pretty much given to AT&T for free, and AT&T
then went out and sold.  (often without changing anything or fixing bugs)

The big issue today, though, is the "snowball" effect.  FreeBSD and
Linux have emerged as the most widely used Open Source UNIX-like operating
systems in the world.  They each feed on each other, because people
that don't like one but still want to participate can always choose the
other.  As a result, more and more people that at one time would have been
working on these other UNIX-like variants have given up and jumped on either
the FreeBSD or Linux variants.  In short, the popularity of these 2 has
starved
the other projects of talent.

Worse, the big reason that people use Linux or FreeBSD instead of, say,
a commercial OS like Windows, is because the open source ones have not only
implemented all of the "gotta-have" features of the commercial OS's, but
they
have their own "gotta-have" features that the commercial ones don't have.
For example, FreeBSD implemented Network Address Translation for 3 years
before Windows NT ever got it.

This effect also works against the other projects like HURD  (GNU's effort)
The reason is that if Stallman goes out and implements some cool, gotta-have
feature in Hurd, the second that people decide that it's better than what's
already in FreeBSD or Linux, they will then incorporate that feature into
those
OS's.  So, the momentum today is such that those alternative systems will
never
even have a chance to keep a feature that will attract people for very long.

GNU would love to finish it's UNIX effort.  So would the founders of the
other
efforts.  But, they are rapidly being left behind in the dust of FreeBSD and
Linux and soon are going to be marginalized.

If some major commercial software organization was to step in and, say,
choose GNU's
effort as a base for their code, then it might possibly rejuvinate those
projects.
But, that's not going to happen now.  The last chance for anything like that
happen was when Apple chose the codebase to jumpstart their MacOS X/Darwin
effort,
and they chose FreeBSD.

We are rapidly seeing the institutionalizing of the Open Source software
market.
Linux has embraced the commercial software houses and their markets and as a
result is the furthest along in this process.  FreeBSD has kind of held the
commercial people at arm's length, but they haven't been actively hostile
and
our code is so good that the commercial folks are coming in the door in
droves
anyway.  But, the rest of the projects have never embraced the commercial
people,
in fact been actively hostile at times.  (Read Minix's software license to
see what I mean)  As a result, they are now non-players.

It's sad in a way, because FreeBSD and Linux are going down the same road
that MS-DOS and Windows went down.  We may possibly see people in 10 years
writing various
treatises like The Cathedral and The Bazzar, only then it's going to be
the FreeBSD and Linux people in the Cathedral, and some yet-unknown rising
star OS
that will be The Bazzar.  But, we are years away from that now so it's still
a fun game to be in.