Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 22:23:48 +0100
From:      Pierre Beyssac <beyssac@enst.fr>
To:        Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VLAN support in -stable?

On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 07:33:27PM +0100, Marcin Cieslak wrote:
> by a reputable hardware vendor and the guys noted few problems with
> IEEE 802.1p and Q standards. They require that _hardware_
> should accept a longer packets, because 802.1p/Q add extra
> 4 bytes to the ethernet frame. Therefore, all Ethernet
> equipment on a network using VLAN must accept longer packets,

That sounds reasonnable, since it seems to me that VLAN links are
typically to be used on backbone/trunk links, i.e. links where you
only have switches or possibly a few big servers (i.e. fast, recent
hardware which is more likely to be VLAN-compliant).

Same principle as ATM's LAN emulation with (classical) ethernet
devices at the edges, except that you replace the expensive ATM
core with relatively cheaper VLAN-compliant ethernet equipment.
--
Pierre Beyssac		pb@enst.fr