Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 14:42:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Justin W. Pauler" <jwpauler@jwpages.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: CVSup

On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, Justin W. Pauler wrote:

> When you do a CVSup and download the latest updates, is there any way to get
> around a full 'make world' which takes 3-4 hours here on a 233.
>
> I noticed the last time I updated there were just a few patches, none
> to the kernel or libs. Is there a way to just update those pacakages
> with some type of 'make' without having to go to each specific
> directory?

There is, but it's not supported, and if you try it and it screws up your
system, or just doesn't work, then you're expected to be able to fix it
yourself without coming asking for help :-)

'make all' in /usr/src is a lot faster than 'make world' since it
deliberately doesn't do any dependency building or ordering, etc. But
listen to me when I tell you not to report errors if you use this - you
are on your own!

Kris