Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 04:22:45 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Collins Richey <erichey2@attbi.com>
Cc:        bsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: kde fails to start

Collins Richey wrote:

> kde does not usually shutdown completely and, as a result, frequently fails to start (dcop server unable to establish communications).  I start kde from my normal user with 'startx'.  Most of the time I do not get a command prompt back after kde termination and have to 'ctrl-c'.
>
> When the 'startx' fails, I have to su -, cd to /tmp and delete everything kded related that I can find.  The really critical piece seems to be 'rm -r .ICE-unix'.
>
> I'm using the version of kde installed fro the 4.4 install CD.
>
> Any ideas?

I think that I would upgrade to 2.2.2. I don't see that problem. They
have a new version that the last patch added on 14 Jan made work on my
systems. You will not find packages of this version and the port can
take forever to build but I think you will be better off than what was
on the 4.4-release cdrom.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart