Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 1996 21:06:59 +0100 (MET)
From:      guido@gvr.win.tue.nl (Guido van Rooij)
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (JULIAN Elischer)
Cc:        rashid@rk.ios.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pwd_mkdb - really slow :(

> As I understand it, changes were made to do single-point
> changes, and to speed all this up in the 'passwd' case.

yep. That's what I did. It is still hanging around here, but I want
to commit it soon, possible protected with an #ifdef.

I made patches for every command that changes a single user at a time,
chpass and friends, passwd, yppasswdd, pwd_mkdb. I did not do adduser (yet).

Things are harder for vipw, as:

> to speed up mkpwd you would need a 'diff' file of
> before and after' and do the changes as a set of single-point changes.
> This requires that you trust the passwd.master and the database
> files to be correctly in sync.

And you should calculate a turnaround point where it is more wise to
completely rebuild the databases.

> > 	I have quite afew systems here with ~10.00 accounts
> > 	on ea ... and pwd_mkdb is _very slow now ... Takes
> > 	2+ minutes to rebuild the damn databases every time.

This should go back to a few seconds, depending on the size of your
*pwd.db files.

-Guido