Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 18:42:52 +1100 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au (Peter Jeremy)
Cc:        borjamar@sarenet.es, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A wish and a dream...

In some mail from Peter Jeremy, sie said:
> On 2001-Jan-16 11:15:27 +0100, Borja Marcos <borjamar@sarenet.es> wrote:
> >	It would be great to have a small gadget (for example, with
> >an USB interface) with the ssh private key stored, so that ssh used it
> >to authenticate instead of having to store the key in the disk.
> >
> >	Is there anything commercially available?
>
> Dallas Semiconductor iButton:  http://www.ibutton.com/

There is also the Rainbow Technologies iKey (don't ask me for a URL).

I use the iKey 2000 with Windows/Netscape quite successfully.  If it
is plugged into the USB port, I can read encrypted mail, if it's not,
I can't (using IE means the key info is copied from the device to the
system registry).

If only they'd release specs.

Darren