Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 1997 09:55:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>
To:        Robin Melville <robmel@nadt.org.uk>
Cc:        sweeting@neuronet.com.my, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help pls : how to optimise mail server response

> >1) network card. (it's a 3Com).
> >   which do you all recommend ?
>
> Not impossible. I've had strange timeout problems on first connect with
> 3Coms, but the "_always_" part makes me uncertain about this.

Take a step back... Use a tool like trafshow to actualy see the amount of
traffic your ethernet is carrying. On an lightly loaded ethernet it
shouldn't matter much.

Personaly, I'd recommend a PCI based NE2000 clone. I got mine for $29 from
www.onsale.com, or if you live in an area were cheap (new) hardware is
readily available, like buaas@wireless.wdc.net got his PCI based NE2000
clone from either PC Club or Fry's (in southern California) for around the
same price.

Uses the same driver as the ISA version, but takes up one interface higher
than what you define in kernel config.

Bernie