Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 08:28:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris McClellen <cmcclellen@weather.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   bin/29903: ypbind loses connection to NIS master and never recovers

>Number:         29903
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       ypbind loses connection to NIS master and never recovers
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD slashman.atl.weather.com 4.4-RC FreeBSD 4.4-RC #0: Thu Aug 16 11:03:37 EDT 2001     root@slashman.atl.weather.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

after a period of time (sometimes 3 or 4 days), ypbind starts complaining that the NIS server is not responding.  It will do this forever, until ypbind is restarted.  Once restarted, ypbind immediatly sees the NIS master and has no problems.  After a few days the problem will repeat itself.

Restarting makes yp work again to some degree, but processes that were doing NIS lookups get stuck (in D state it looks like via ps), and other processes (ie top) won't even start.  So, in the end, we have to reboot to clear everything up on the FreeBSD machine.

The NIS master is a solaris machine.

This problem existed on 4.3 as well.