Date:      Fri, 3 May 2002 05:19:00 +1000 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: two servers

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Forrest W. Christian wrote:

> On Thu, 2 May 2002, -=|[RattleSn@ke]|=- wrote:
>
> > I've a (easy) question.
> >
> > I've two servers, a P1 100Mhz. 43MB RAM and a PII 233Mhz. 128MB RAM.
> >
> > I want to run a DNS, POP/SMTP, SQL and a WWWserver.
> >
> > What server(s) should run on what computer??
> >
> > I hope that someone has the answer!?!?

[...]

> I'd put everything on the PII, with perhaps a secondary DNS server on the
> other box if you need two servers, and then as your needs grow you'll
> likely know what is consuming CPU/resources, and (hopefully) will be able
> to afford a faster server.

Just a minor tip related to future growth: give your DNS server(s) an IP
alias each - no other services on that IP. When you have to move DNS to
another server you can simply switch the ethernet or lo0 alias to the new
server, without needing to go through the headache of changing name server
IP records with your registrar and/or needing to manually redelegate your
entire list of hosted domains.

Caveat: This tip is useless if your new server is not in the same subnet,
and you're unable to static route the DNS IP to the new server. :)

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe - Melbourne, Australia
www.camrecord.com  www.camdiscover.com  www.heyasl.com  www.sensationbot.com