Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 10:24:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Re: New to FreeBSD but not to Linux?

>Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 23:43:21 +0100
>From: Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>

>Is there anyone in the audience who is new to FreeBSD but not new to
>Linux?

Dunno about that, but there are certainly some of us who are
(relatively, by now) new to FreeBSD, but not to non-PC UNIX-ish systems
(such as Solaris 2, SunOS 4.x, IRIX, HP/UX,...)

>One of the things missing in the documentation set is a "FreeBSD
>for the Linux user" document, which covers things that might confuse
>the average Linux user when moving to FreeBSD.

Given my stated perception, it probably comes as no surprise that
although I think that might be useful, I would find something that
documents the idiosyncracies of PC hardware & how FreeBSD was contorted
as a result of needing to deal with it far more useful.

Naturally, my (mis-)adventures adequately demonstrate that I'm nowhere
near qualified to rationally discuss the topic....  :-(  [Hint -- I just
sent off a note to -questions yesterday, describing some of what I went
through a couple of days ago.  For those not subscribed to -questions,
it's archived.  The subject is "Re: SCSI "device wiring" query";
message-id is "<199807130354.UAA06193@pau-amma.whistle.com>"; I sent it
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 20:54:12 -0700 (PDT).]

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621