Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 11:31:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, Wayne Cuddy <wayne@crb-web.com>, FreeBSD Hackers List <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: what is devfs?

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :Whatever, let's please not get into an argument over persistence, it's in
> :the archives.
> :
> :----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> :Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
>
>    Personally speaking I don't see how permission persistence could possibly
>    be implemented within DEVFS itself without a huge amount of work.  I'm
>    not sure it would be appropriate to implement it there anyhow when it
>    is so easy to just make the necessary changes in rc.local.

I know your opinions (and I know they're shared by others) but that's
precisely what I asked to avoid above.  Let's agree, at least, that there
are two opinions on this; would it be possible, perhaps with a devfsd
daemon, to allow a user to choose whether or not to have persistent
permissions outside of rc.local?  I'm not asking you to write this (I
wouldn't ask you to code something you are personally opposed to); I'm
asking if such an approach might make a compromise possible, so that devfs
could maybe operate both ways (with & without persistence)?

Let's not get into an argument over whether persistence is good or not;
let's see if we can make the argument pointless.

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)