Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:41:55 -0800
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Focus on the solution

Darren Pilgrim wrote:

> On Feb 24, 1999 @ around 12:50am GMT "Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
> > Almost every time I see any amount of energy collecting in this
> > group, it seems that somebody shorts it to ground by starting the
> > "Why is Linux doing this and us not?!" argument all over again.
> > It's not focusing on the solution, it's focusing on the problem.
>
> Perhaps it's time to formally organize a task force of sorts to do
> nothing but work on the solution, using the problem as a reference
> point.  Or am I just reiterating an old idea?

Hi, Darren -
	This IS our task force, this list. Sometimes we don't all go in the
same direction, and sometimes our FreeBSD Project Perl Scripts get
crabby when some task force members do more finger-pointing than
generating either quality code or suggestions for real advocacy. Any
Internet mailing list occasionally gets clogged with this kind of noise.
We have actually gotten several good projects off the ground through
this list. There are several thriving new e-zines, "Install-a-thons" and
documentation projects going on. Articles are being written, books
prepared, etc. FreeBSD mentions in the mainstream press have gone up
dramatically since this list started. Jordan Hubbard, the senior core
member and Fearless Leader of the FreeBSD Project, is actually trying to
hire a full-time advocacy general to supplement our individual volunteer
efforts. (Dare I say it: FreeBSD Advocacy General...
Nooooooo.......!!!!)

> I don't have FreeBSD installed yet (not enough disk space and I
> need Windows), but I'll help out any way I can.

Buy another disk and dual-boot? Warning, this stuff is addictive!!! ;-D

--
  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *