Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2013 17:32:59 -0300
From:      Luiz Otavio O Souza <lists.br@gmail.com>
To:        Petko Bordjukov <bordjukov@gmail.com>
Cc:        bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/177032: [arge] arge1 fails to attach on UBNT Routerstation

On 1 April 2013 14:00, Petko Bordjukov <bordjukov@gmail.com> wrote:

> The following reply was made to PR kern/177032; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Petko Bordjukov <bordjukov@gmail.com>
> To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
> Subject: Re: kern/177032: [arge] arge1 fails to attach on UBNT
> Routerstation
> Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 19:50:09 +0300
>
>  Hello Luiz,
>
>  Thank you for your response.
>
>  Using a 0x0 PHY mask does indeed eliminate the error and the interface
>  is present and operational. However, what are the implications of not
>  using a directly mapped PHY?
>
>  Also, to my knowledge the phymask should be 15 << 16 and the miimode
>  should be RMII, however I was not able to get the interface running with
>  these values.
>
>  --
>  Best regards,
>  Petko

There are no implications for this change on ROUTERSTATION as the switch
(ADM9669) cannot be managed from its MDIO interface and all you have is a
static two port switch on arge1.

Even with the correct phymask, you cannot attach and use two simultaneous
PHY on a single ethernet interface so i think that the phymask=0 is correct
for this board.

And no, the phymask on the ROUTERSTATION.hints is correct (0x3 << 16 == PHY
16 and 17) as there are only two ports connected on the switch (all the
others PHYs on the switch are disconnected).

I'm not sure about the correct miimode for ROUTERSTATION, but i think
you're right, it should be RMII. I don't have physical access to this board
anymore to test it myself (although a friend of mine has one of these).

Regards,
Luiz