Date:      Sat, 30 Aug 1997 17:44:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@cs.rice.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   doc-all collection

I'm unsure of the right way to maintain the docs (FAQ and handbook)
now that they've been moved to /usr/doc.  I'm tracking 2.2-STABLE
and I'd like to keep a local copy of the docs.

This is my cvsup file (I keep a separate file for ports).

  *default tag=RELENG_2_2
  *default host=cvsup2.freebsd.org
  *default prefix=/usr
  *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
  *default release=cvs  delete  use-rel-suffix
  src-all
  src-secure
  doc-all

1. First, is doc-all like ports-all, where I use tag=. even though
I use RELENG_2_2 for the sources?  For example, the online handbook
(www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook.html) is clearly taken from HEAD,
even though the front page says that it covers Release 2.2.2.
This makes me wonder what is the proper collection for doc-all.

2. I can build and install the docs by cd'ing to /usr/doc/{FAQ,handbook}
and running "make ; make install".  Didn't this used to be part of
make world when they were in /usr/src/share/doc?  Should it be again?

3. I noticed the CVS repository has /usr/doc/Makefile, but only for
HEAD.  Should there also be a RELENG_2_2 version?

Perhaps someone in the know can explain the proper procedure.

Mark Krentel
krentel@cs.rice.edu
Rice University