Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 19:18:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        cgaff@flashcom.net (Corey G.), freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Signal 4 while compiling 4.1.1

> * Corey G. <cgaff@flashcom.net> [001001 19:01] wrote:
> > No matter what, while compiling on my AMD K62-450 I get some type of
> > signal 4 error.  4.1.1 compiled fine on a PIII.  Any ideas?  Three weeks
> > ago 4.1 STABLE compiled fine too.  Is my CPU going bad or is this a CPU
> > incompatibility problem?
>
> Something is wrong with your system, check cabling, cooling and memory.

I would change that to check, in order, cooling, cpu voltage setting,
memory and memory timing, power supply, and finally cabling.

If you have one of the rare 2.4V 450MHz K6-2-450 they are extreamly
picky about Vcore ripple, and often run very very hot and need a very
large heatsink and fan to run reliably.  (Check the chip, the voltage
setting is ingraved in the top of it, oh, and if you don't have heat
sink grease on it, GET SOME!!  FYI heat sink compound should
be applied in a very thin layer (You should almost be able to see
through it), too much is just as bad as none.)

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net