Date:      Tue, 06 Oct 1998 21:21:55 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Sean Kelly <kelly@plutotech.com>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, FreeBSD-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java-based Crypto Decoder Ring gets NIST FIPS 140-1 certification (fwd)

At 05:53 PM 10/5/98 -0600, Nate Williams wrote:
>Nate - Who is looking for a good 'physical' security mechanism that
>  can't be easily forged by an outsider who gets physical access to you
>  and your computer.

At my last job when our Sun consultant came in with a Java ring it set a bunch of ideas in motion.

Didn't get anywhere, but the rings could be used for physical access control and network access control.

Take the idea a bit further....

First let's stick with the WonderTwinsJavaRing (twin not required).  Skip cards and anything not attached, but optionally use the WonderTwinJavaPendant (choice of gold/silver/anodized color w/wo pattern of choice - additional goodies extra - chain not included).

Why not use it for your home, car, computer, et all.  Your employer can use your ring for access control.

Add to this the workings of a smart card that you can use like a debit/credit card or like the smartcards have several cards stored.

There could be a reference number so that in an emergency medical tecnicians can get your health records.

Of course a 2nd memory chip for the last 2 things would be better, so when you wipe your private key you don't have to reprogram you cards and vitals.

The list goes on, but there is a potentially HUGE market.

Just think how easy this would make a techo-dweeb's life. ;)

And it's the way of the future!

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
jeff@mountin.net