Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 23:00:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Blaz Zupan <blaz@amis.net>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Onboard Intel NIC

> Been there, done that...tired of waiting. What does one do when the
> maintainers dont maintain if complaining isnt allowed?

Fix it yourself. If you don't know how or don't have the time - tough
luck. Buy a support contract or use a commercial OS.

> Yes, lets silence the critics. Nice way to run an O/S.

Of course! I have many issues with FreeBSD myself, but I don't run to this
mailing list and complain the way you do - it's not the complaining
itself, it's the attitude that comes with it. The point of open source
operating systems is, that they are user-supported. Users _volunteer_
their spare time to work on the system, answer questions, etc. It seems
like you expect that everybody is just waiting to fix your problem and
drop all the other work they have. The day you realise that this is a
volunteer effort and that _everyone_ involved has to work on it (including
you), will be the day of enlightment for you.

> Last time I asked a simple question as to whether this problem had been
> fixed yet and I was told to figure it out myself. It seems that with the
> freebsd-slackers the only was to get results is to emphasize the importance
> of this to your user base. The fxp driver is "recommended" as the best
> driver, yet maintaining it is a burden and complaining is not allowed.

The "fxp" driver works just fine. I use it in all my servers and would
recommend it anytime to anyone. You seem to have a problem with a specific
version of the card and now expect the developer to drop all his work and
everybody else to listen to your problem.

> When is that BSDI "support" going to kick-in?

When you start paying for it? Dennis, please don't take this personal, but
you don't seem to get it - complaining does not help, it only pisses
people off. You can either

1) colaborate with developers as much as you can and hope they will be
able to fix your problem
2) fix the problem yourself
3) pay someone to fix the problem

Blaz Zupan, blaz@amis.net, http://home.amis.net/blaz/
Medinet d.o.o., Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia