Date:      Tue, 03 Sep 96 10:33:03 +0200
From:      garyj@frt.dec.com
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Latest Current build failure

rkw@dataplex.net writes:
> I guess I see that you and I have a different viewpoint of the "stability"
> of things.
>
> In your model, "current" seems to be just some arbitrary collection of code.
> whereas "stable" has been tested enough to make sure it compiles and runs.
> You seem to leave out the "production" level which is supported.
>
> IMHO, it you want to build a following for the FreeBSD OS, you need to put
> greater emphasis on supported stability. I think that it is this market
> factor that you are hearing complain.

IMO production level means release, not -current. I don't think that
we can expect to grow a market based on -current, that's what the
releases are for. People who want to be on the bleeding-edge and use
-current have to enter this particular "hell" with open eyes. Using
-current isn't for the faint of heart or newbies. I've been running
-current for years and have never encountered a problem which wasn't
quickly remedied in the tree or which I couldn't work around with
little effort.

I personally don't see investing a lot of time or resources to
guarantee that -current is ALWAYS compilable. A hiccough now and
then is what one has to expect and be prepared to accept when using
-current.

---
Gary Jennejohn				(work) gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
					(home) Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de