Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 15:07:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel-building praxis

On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, Salvo Bartolotta wrote:

> Dear FreeBSD'ers,
>
> I have just upgraded to 4.1-RC successfully -- sources as of few hours
> ago.
>
> Incidentally, a 'make kernel=WHATEVER build/installkernel' actually
> built /GENERIC, but this is a minor/negligible issue: I rebuilt my
> customized kernel in the old standard way.

That's because the variable name is 'KERNEL' not 'kernel' :-)

I've also found that it doesn't necessarily propagate, and set it in
make.conf.

> My understanding was that the build/installkernel procedure served the
> purpose of making **major** transitions possible, whether or not a
> major RELEASE upgrade was involved; whereas the well-known "classical"
> procedure could be used in all other cases/situations. In particular,
> the "classical" procedure could be employed after ordinary source
> upgrades.

The classical method is still valid if you aren't upgrading source,
e.g. rebuilding an existing kernel with new options/devices/etc.

> >From now on, am I supposed to be systematically using "make
> build/installkernel each and every time I cvsup my sources ? What
> [have I missed/] am I missing ?

Yes, you are correct.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org