Date:               Fri, 7 Apr 1995 16:02:35 CST6CDT
From:      "John Booth" <JOHN@gab.unt.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:         mb_map full, intermittent net.

1.
I've been getting a mb_map full error on console & messages log.
Why would the table be running out while there is still swap space?
Is there something I can change to add more table space?  Should this
ever happen?

2.
After being on the net for several hours (6 or more usually) the net
will go down.

It's always been a process that uses sockets (telnet
was the last process) that seems to cause the net outage.  It was
using 120% cpu (ps -aux showed).  I killed it and net came back
immediately.

I can ping my address from console, but a ping to any
other address on same subnet just sits there until the offending
process is killed.

This NEVER happened w/2.0R or 1.1.5R.  The machine has been up for 3
days so far and has lost net about 4 times.

I'm using a 486 dx2/66 (intel), ne2000 clone irq 5 port 0x300, 24
meg of ram (72 pin simms), mono text display, IDE drives (Maxtor
7245a and a Conner504???...conner is master).

Although the slip device is in the kernel I'm not using it.

#
# GENERIC -- Generic machine with WD/AHx/NCR/BTx family disks
#
#   $Id: GENERIC,v 1.36 1995/03/18 08:12:47 rgrimes Exp $
#

machine     "i386"
cpu     "I486_CPU"
ident       ulantris
maxusers    15

options     INET            #InterNETworking
options     FFS         #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options     NFS         #Network Filesystem
options     PROCFS          #Process filesystem
options     "COMPAT_43"     #Compatible with BSD 4.3
#options        UCONSOLE        #Allow users to grab the console

config      kernel  root on wd0 swap on wd0 dumps on wd0

controller  isa0

controller  fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector
fdintr
disk        fd0 at fdc0 drive 0
disk        fd1 at fdc0 drive 1

controller  wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk        wd0 at wdc0 drive 0
disk        wd1 at wdc0 drive 1

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device      sc0 at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr

device      npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

device      sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr

device      lpt0    at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr

device ed0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq  5 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr
#device ep0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 vector epintr

pseudo-device   loop
pseudo-device   ether
pseudo-device   log
pseudo-device   sl  3