Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 1995 17:38:47 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert), current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: config, other kernel build tools

Allen Briggs writes:
> > Anyone else believe config should be in the /usr/src/sys somewhere
> > instead of /usr/src/usr.sbin?

FWIW - I've been arguing this point since 1.X, so there are *some*
things that Terry and I agree on. :)

> Why?  Does it still have machine-dependencies in it?

Uh, no, but it changes with the kernel, so it's dependant upon a
particular version of the kernel.

> I highly recommend the much more machine-independent 'config' that
> NetBSD is now using.  Or at least something similar.

The 'config' is NetBSD isn't necessarily any more 'machine independant'
than the config in FreeBSD, it's just different.

Nate