Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:07:16 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ady@freebsd.ady.ro, arch@FreeBSD.org, net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help needed: ALTQ integration into FreeBSD

Makoto Matsushita wrote:
> Have you ever contact to Cho-san, the author of ALTQ?  He is also a
> FreeBSD committer (kjc@FreeBSD.org), and may willing to help you if he
> have enough time to do.
>
> ALTQ implementation is already integrated into KAME; maybe KAME guys
> can help you.  I've heard a few days ago that a new FreeBSD committer,
> suz (from KAME team itself), is approved by core, but his account on
> freefall is *not* created (I dunno why but it's true) so he can't do
> his work (sigh).

Personally, I'm a little "gun shy" about KAME integration
right now.

The IPv4 IPSEC code has this nasty habit of reserving space
for the IPSEC for non-IPSEC connections.  This drops the
maximum number of connections supportable by a given amount
of RAM by a factor of 4 or more.

I understand the need to alloc memory for the stuff when the
connection is actually an IPSEC connection, but as it is, not
using IPSEC, and just having the crap in your kernel has the
bad effect on the maximum number of connections.

I would really hate to see something else come in that was
not conditionalized on it actually being used.  8-(.

-- Terry