Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 15:50:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> This fails the most important criteria for the transistion to ATA:
> it doesn't break existing kernel configs.
>
> Listen guys, this is a tempest in a tea-cup, we are not loosing any
> functionality here, we are gaining functionality.
>
> The wd driver doesn't have anything to recommend it on the i386
> platform and we need to switch to ATA.

Then go and switch.. I'm not stopping you. Just leave the old files there
in the meanwhile! It's not hurting you to do so, so stop being so
unwilling to listen to other people's opinions and get on with your
development!

In the meanwhile I'll look at Cyrix support. But first I have to learn
about the ata driver and I have too much on my plate as it is..

> This is *CURRENT* remember ?  We want this transistion done and
> tested before current becomes 4.0-RELEASE.  The time is NOW!

So add your new stuff..
there is no hurry to remove the old one. The fact that there is an
objection from more than 2 committers on this should have killed the
argument already. You'd complain if someone other than you went ahead with
something with this amount of objection. Stop trying to steamroll and just
Leave the files alone. The same rules apply to you as others and the
over-riding rule has always been that a decent level of objection on a
non crucial point is enough to stop  it reagrdless of what the author
of the point feels. That's the way it goes. for adding new stuff, and for
deleting old stuff. If you feel that you are excempt from peer review
and that the committers as a group should be ignorable, just
let us know.

> If we don't force people over to the ata driver it will not get
> tested as much as it needs to.

It'll get tested well and truely enough if it's teh default. and if it
DOESN't work for someone, havingn the wd to fall back on would be a bloody
good idea (TM).