Date:      Fri, 4 Sep 1998 09:39:49 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS stable before release?

On Thursday,  3 September 1998 at  0:17:04 -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> Is anyone currently working on getting NFS fixed before the 3.0 release? If
>
> Yes, we have just today made arrangements with another BSD developer
> to jump in and work on this.  I won't say who that developer is, but I
> will say that I have a good deal of confidence in his ability to
> accomplish notable things in short periods of time, and it certainly
> doesn't hurt that he's extremely familiar with the code.  More than
> that I cannot say until I at least see some of the preliminary
> results.  Given that we only started today, everyone should also give
> this process just a little time to ramp up. :)
>
> And yes, I'm very interested in reproducible failure scenarios.  If
> you have such a case and would like to be part of the testing/bug-fixing
> loop, please send me a short email indicating as much.  If you have any
> PRs currently in the database concerning reproducible failure scenarios,
> please indicate those as well and I'll make a note of them next to
> your name.  This list will then be passed on to the developer in question
> for reference.  I've already added Kevin Day in as the first entry. :)

I haven't been able to use NFS between two specific systems for about
two months now.  It seems to be related to mount: mounts will only
succeed about one time out of three.  If they don't succeed, a second
attempt will invariably hang the machine.  It's unrelated to the
system running on the client machine (2.2.[567] or -CURRENT), and
other machines can mount on the server machine with no problems.  I've
tried changing just about everything on the client machine, including
the Ethernet board, but the problem remains.  About the only thing I
could think of is the cable length between the machines, but that
hasn't changed.  I've done some tcpdump traces which show that the
server is returning a "port not reachable" error, but I haven't had
time to follow all the way through the stack.  If anybody has some
ideas on this one, I'd be really pleased to help fix it.

Greg