Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 11:06:55 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Studded <Studded@gorean.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current state of the conventional wisdom?

On Tuesday,  4 May 1999 at 15:17:34 -0700, Doug White wrote:
> On Tue, 4 May 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> I suggest holding off until 3.5.  3.X is a total mess at the moment, and
>>> if your 2.2.8 box is running fine then don't touch it.
>>
>> Huh?  What gives you that idea?  I've been running 3.X for some time
>> now, and I haven't had any trouble.  If you make such negative
>> statements, you should at least justify them.
>
> 1.  2.2.X -> 3.X upgrade doesn't handle a.out libraries, rendering a.out
>     bins (netscape, built ports, etc.) useless until they're moved.

It did for me.

> 2.  Sysinstall locks up during the second device probe.

I haven't seen this.

> 3.  Sysinstall locks up during extraction on machines with <=8MB RAM.

Yes, this is one known bug.

> 4.  Kernel panics mysteriously after device probe when devices are
>     removed; unedited kernel boots normally.

I haven't seen this.

> 5.  /kernel.config fiasco.

Details?

> 6.  NFS instabilities.

NFS has been unstable for quite some time.  I haven't seen any
evidence that it's got worse with 3.1.

> 7.

I can't find fault with that one :-)

A lot of this suggests hearsay rather than firm problems.  The only
one I know of as a fact is (3), and that doesn't affect most people.
What are the PR numbers for these problems?

>> On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend installing 3.1 right now.  3.2
>> will be released in the middle of the month, and it's probably worth
>> waiting for.
>
> I'll wait and see.  The conventional release cycle has the .5 release as a
> strong comeback for the branch.  Reference 2.0.5, 2.1.5, 2.2.5...

You've been away for a while.  There will be no more .X.5 releases.

>> We've had trouble with NFS for years.  3.X is no worse than 2.X, and
>> it's probably better.  The good news is that we've recently seen a lot
>> of fixes for NFS go into -CURRENT, and they'll probably appear in 3.X
>> (probably 3.3) as well.
>
> -CURRENT is the best NFS candidate, thanks to Matt Dillon's hard work.
> Unfortunately -CURRENT has problems elsewhere.

Of course, that's why it's -CURRENT.

Greg