Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 1996 15:34:04 -0700
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
Cc:        Barnacle Wes <softweyr@xmission.com>, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's /var/mail permissions

Their locking systems are irrelevant if they do not cooperate with
mail.local.

  From: Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
  > Mail locking, to be effective, must be soley performed through the use of
  > the flock() call on the mail file itself.
  >
  > Locking schemes relying on other mechanisms are not effective.

  Locking schemes relying on flock() are not effective either, so that's
  why most MUA's I know of use lock files.

  You'll have to convince *them* that flock() is adequate, although I've
  yet to be convinced as well.  'flock()' is broken on too many systems to
  be considered reliable.

  Nate