Date:      Sat, 2 Sep 1995 22:38:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        pete@RockyMountain.rahul.net (Pete Delaney)
Cc:        pete@RockyMountain.rahul.net, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, pete@kesa26.kesa.com, jbryant@argus.iadfw.net, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, pete@rahul.net
Subject:   Re: 4GB Drives - Another Hawk bits the dust after a a short 3 month flight; Loading NetBSD !

>    > [My Micropolis supplier must be reading the mailling lists and noticed
>    > I was pushing Seagates and gone and got me some SPA pricing :-) :-)]
>
> So it appears I have to take it to SeaCrate and get a replacement. Once I get
> it is it possible to switch up to a Micropolus?
>
> -pete

Warning!

I have had THREE Micropolis bearing failures on drives which are less than
one year old in the last 72 hours!

In that same period, NO OTHER DRIVE from other makers has given me trouble.

I like the Seagate Hawk series, and the 'Cudas *IF YOU CAN KEEP THEM COOL*.

The Barracudas are great drives, but if they overheat, they're toast.  These
suckers run REALLY hot, so you need supplemental cooling (like an enclosure
with multiple fans designed for this stuff).

A typical PC mounting WILL fail due to overheating.

The Hawks run with about 30% less power, and throw about 30% less heat as a
result.  They will run in a PC cabinet with no problems, assuming you pay
moderate attention to airflow.

4G Hawks are ~$1200, while the 'Cudas add another $200-300 to that price.
The primary difference is that the Barracuda is a 7200 RPM design, while
the Hawk is a 5400 RPM one.

I never used to like Seagate, but since the Hawk and Barracuda intro, I've
become a convert.  The only other drives I would consider after this are the
Micropolis "AV" series -- they are considerably higher quality disks than
the "non-AV" models.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
Modem: [+1 312 248-0900]     | (shell, PPP, SLIP, leased) in Chicagoland
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1]     | 7 Chicagoland POPs, ISDN, 28.8, much more
Fax: [+1 312 248-9865]       | Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net
ISDN - Get it here TODAY!    | Home of Chicago's *Three STAR A* Clarinet feed!