Date:      Fri, 2 May 1997 16:28:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Greg Stringfellow <greg@smokey.prismnet.com>
To:        adam@veda.is (Adam David)
Cc:        vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISP Terminal Server Remote Site Requirements

Adam David said:
> X2 will work on any digital line, ISDN lines are digital lines that also
> support ISDN. Perhaps all digital lines support ISDN with your telco.
> Any modem server can be used for X2 since the modems don't care whether
> the incoming connection is analog or digital (i.e. the modems look like
> "fast modems"), but to get the most out of it you will need the new Z series
> serial ports (to get compression bandwidth). Unfortunately there is no
> FreeBSD driver available for them yet. Therefore, some legwork or brainwork
> will be necessary to get Z-ports to work. On the other hand, how far away
> are we from using Linux drivers with FreeBSD? That would be awesome! :)

Probably the easiest way I have seen to do X2 is to purchase a USR Total
Control 8/I (I think that's the model #). It allows 8 BRIs in and has 8 DB25
outputs. They might have a PRI version, or at least one in the works. I
don't use USR TC gear, so I really don't keep up with it.

> Another question though. Can X2 modems accept 56k connections from Rockwell
> and Motorola (assuming them to be the 3rd player) modems?

No. No standard has really been set yet on a 56k analog protocol so it's
either USR or everyone else.

Greg

--
    Greg Stringfellow	     	   PrismNet, Inc. - Austin, TX USA
  Network Administration	WWW Pages, ISDN, Telnet, Dialup Accounts

"The trouble with the rat race is, even if you win, you're still a rat"