Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 00:14:48 +0100
From:      James Greenhalgh <james-list@ntlworld.com>
To:        dochawk@psu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARRGH Netscape stinks!

Personally, I find it FAR less obtrusive when an application stays within the
bounds I gave it rather than spawning more and more windows.  It's nice to be
able to visit a site that requests 100% screen width and have the window
within the opera X window resize only logically (becoming scrollable), and
it's nice to have popups pop up in a small logical window too, rather than the
browser arrogantly assuming it's the most important application and
splattering itself all over my xterms ;-)  (like Netscape and Mozilla)  If I
put opera in the top left of the screen using say, half the screen width, it's
nice to know that it will NEVER touch the rest of my desktop, for any reason.

Perhaps my original description wasn't clear?  At any rate - it's all personal
preference, you can *demand* whatever you like - but we're all stuck using
whatever is closest.

james

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001 16:47:14 -0400
dochawk@psu.edu wrote:

> > It might have been in the past - now it just has a small area of the
toolbar
> > showing adverts changing every now and again.  I can live with that for a
> > browser that runs javascript but only resizes the logical window rather
than
> > the one on my desktop, and opens popups within its own workspace.  That's
> > where I think it scores - multiple windows don't have to use multiple
windows
> > on your desktop, they can just be tab switched a bit like fvwm2-95 or that
> > other OS I'm not going to mention.
>
> that's a *good* thing?  I *demand* that windows be independent so that
> I can put them where I want them, not in some big window that an
> application hogs with the arrogant assumption that it's the most
> important application, and kindly offers me a new desktop . . .
>

> --
> Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon
campaign
> dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail
> These opinions will not be those of                 X    and postings
> Penn State until it pays my retainer.              / \

find great crazy-mad out-of-head experience from japan.