Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 2008 23:25:09 -0300
From:      "Carlos A. M. dos Santos" <unixmania@gmail.com>
To:        "Jeremy Chadwick" <koitsu@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why does sysinstall still limits cylinders to 65535?

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 3:24 AM, Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 11:52:06PM -0300, Carlos A. M. dos Santos wrote:
>> I have been struglling with sysinstall, attempting to make it handle
>> the geometry of some large SATA drives. After a lot of effort I
>> decided to stop suffering and modified the program in order to
>> circumvent the outdated limit of 65535 cylinders (see attached patch).
>> I'm thinking about submitting a PR with a change request but I'd like
>> to get some additional opinions first. I did not test it in "batch"
>> mode, so it would be great if any kind soul did this.
>
> Carlos, bottom line is to simply ignore the geometry warning you see.
>
> For others...
>
> This is just added evidence that the humongous warning spit out during
> sysinstall's fdisk is confusing users (many taking it very seriously
> when there's really no problem at all).
>
> I think this is the third time someone's brought this up in the past
> couple months...

Sorry if I sound annoying but nobody else answered. I still believe
that something must be done to fix sysinstall, so I'm asking you
(where "you" means the "others" in Jeremy's message) to provide some
additional feedback. Please fill-in the dots in one or more of the
following options:

1. We can not make such change sysinstall because ...

2. Your patch is not correct/sufficient. I would be better if ...

3. Please submit a PR. It will momentarily be reviewed by ...

4. Give up. Nobody here cares about this issue.

Thanks in advance.

--
Carlos A. M. dos Santos