Date:      Thu, 08 Jan 1998 01:10:12 GMT
From:      Philip Koopman <koopman@cmu.edu>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, julian@whistle.com, dg@root.com, core@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where do I send a large bug list?

On Tue, 6 Jan 1998 17:00:23 -0600 (CST), Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
wrote:
>My name is Steve Price and I am the gnats-meister for FreeBSD; ie. I
>get the pleasure maintaining the bug database.  I would love to see
>your list.  As for a title (other than the above), this is a volunteer
>project and only a select few people on the -core team have a title
>and most of those are self-inflicted. :)

Well, my distribution mechanism is obviously more set up for the
commercial operating systems I am testing than for FreeBSD...  but you
already figured that out, I'm sure.

Steve, if you send me e-mail promising to keep my data confidential then
I'll be happy to e-mail you the bug list (it's a large file, so please
express a preference for compression format and MIME vs. uuencode).  You
can also share it with others as long as we can get transitive closure
on confidentiality promises.  This isn't a legalistic NDA thing -- I
just want to be sure that people who touch the data understand that it
is not to be published, posted, or otherwise mass distributed without my
consent.  Once the data is converted into a regular bug report(s) then
confidentiality goes away as long as it is not readily possible to
reconstruct my experimental data from the bug database.

Also, I'd like your physical mail address so I can send you a hard-copy
letter confirming the arrangement as well as some summary data charts
and conference papers that you will probably find interesting.  Finally,
if the bug report ends up being useful it would be nice to have a formal
acknowledgement letter from Someone With An Impressive Title(!??) that I
can show to my research sponsors to demonstrate "impact."

Best regards,
-- Phil

(P.S., I'm also Cc'ing core@freebsd.org per D. Greenman's suggestion.)

Phil Koopman -- koopman@cmu.edu -- http://www.ece.cmu.edu/koopman