Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:18:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        agifford@infowest.com (Aaron D. Gifford)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A and MX to different ip's for same name

> "Leif Neland" <leifn@neland.dk> said:
> >Do all mailers look for MX before A records?
>
> Yes, mail delivery will be attempted to the hosts listed in MX
> records if they are present.

Nice theory but it doesn't work that way in the real world.  You need
to qualify that with a "usually".  :-/

There is still a large installed base of legacy Internet garbageware
that had a hard enough time implementing DNS service at all, and I'm
aware of several that do not do MX fallback or MX lookup at all.  Much
of it seems to be PC or VMS stuff.  "Figures."

It is hard explaining to people why their mail system is so horridly
broken when they are able to mail a large percentage of the world without
a problem.

The ones I love are the ones that do even worse things like try _just_
the lowest pref MX host.  I typically firewall off a client's SMTP port
to the general world but leave it in the MX list.  This forces mail to
go to a secondary MX host first (ISP's MX server) which can then talk
directly to the client via a firewall exception.  This requires no hand-
coding of things into mailertable or any other gyrations at the ISP, and
provides a nice level of indirection that keeps the client's mail port
from being abused or attacked.  I occasionally run into some dumbass
mail package that doesn't walk the MX list properly (or at all), but I
see it so rarely that I don't remember just which one it is.

My vote:  Just do the MX thing and turn off mail on the Web server.  The
people who insist on running non-MX-compliant mailers deserve to lose.

... JG