Date:      Sun, 29 Jul 2012 16:56:42 +0100
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org>
To:        Erik Cederstrand <erik@cederstrand.dk>
Cc:        Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org" <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BSD ld (was Re: MCLinker and llvm-config)

On 29 Jul 2012, at 16:08, Erik Cederstrand wrote:

> MCLinker seems to me like the most promising project at the moment. =
But in the end, working code is what counts :-)

Agreed.  The top requirement on my list was 'actually exists' for that =
exact reason: vapourware is of no interest.  Unfortunately, while the =
lld design is very promising, the progress doesn't look like it will =
produce something that is ready in time for 10.0 (including the at-least =
six months of testing in -CURRENT that as important as a new linker will =
need). =20

MC-Linker has made a huge amount of progress since I last looked at the =
project, and has gone from being a toy to a serious contender.  =
Hopefully we will get external toolchain support (it's on brooks@'s todo =
list, and something that I think a few of us will work on at the =
DevSummit) soon, which means that the requirement for our system =
toolchain can be limited to tier 1 platforms (and one of the =
requirements for promoting a platform to tier 1 can be full toolchain =
support).  Currently, that basically means x86 and x86-64, with ARM =
coming Real Soon Now=99.  Maybe MIPS (an architecture that manages to =
combine the code density of Alpha with the simplicity and elegance of =
x86), all of which are supported by MC-Linker.

At this stage, it certainly looks as if MC-Linker is going to be the =
first to produce something that can link the base system, and that, as =
you say, is what matters in the end; working code.

David=