Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 14:22:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Todd Backman <todd@flyingcroc.net>
To:        Dan Debertin <airboss@bitstream.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routing firewall w/ipfw questions

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Dan Debertin wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, Todd Backman wrote:
>
> > established connection) but no access from the outside could be
> > established even after adding as the last rulesets:
> >
> > allow ip from any to any
>
> If you are inserting this rule onto the end of your ruleset, you're still
> going through all of your other rules before getting to this one.

Yes, that hit me when I was on my way into town on the bus today. Amazing
what state of mental clarity I obtain while having 15 diff conversations
going on around me... ;^) (and without having 10 people calling me asking
when the net is going to be back up after an outage notice had been
posted)

> Given that we're just trying to get the routing working, you're better
> off turning off firewalling completely with:
>
> sysctl -w net.inet.ip.fw.enable=0
>
> Once we get routing working from inside out, and from outside in, we can
> throw ipfw back into the mix.

Cool. Will do. Thanks for the guidance. And I must say that sysctl rocks!