Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:35:51 +0200 (EET)
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   News server disks

We are upgrading our news server, but I have trouble obtaining faster
quantum disks (Atlas).  Slower fireball 3G disks and seagates I can get my
hands on.  So, question, which one is better:

7 * 3G quantum fireball (4 for spool, 1 for overview data)

2 * 2G + 4 * 4G seagate (hawk or faster)

quantums have sort-of-working write cache, which seagates do not, but seek
time is slower.  Seagate option is considerably more expensive.  Having
more quantums would probably compensate for slower seek times, and better
(existing) write cache would be helpful.  Any experience with fireballs,
are they of any use ?

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND, hsu@clinet.fi
mobile +358-40-5519679 work +358-9-43542270 fax -4555276