Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 2002 13:06:14 -0700
From:      Tom Wiebe <twiebe@mac.com>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Secondary Mail Server??

Hi there,

Another simple question for the list, I hope. I also hope that this doesn'
t start WW III, as I've noticed that people seem to have very strong
feelings about mail server software.

I'll be continuing to run my primary mail server on SIMS (Stalker Internet
Mail Server) on a Macintosh for the time being (A very cool little mail
server, solid, easy to admin and free like beer), but would like to move
my secondary service onto one of my FreeBSD boxes.

 From what I've read so far, the configuration of Sendmail looks like
something I want to stay away from. I'm primarily a graphic designer, so I
want my admin tasks to be as light as possible.

Postfix and Qmail both look interesting but I really don't have time to
learn each of them right now and decide which to use.

So, my question is, what email server can you recommend as a secondary
server to pick up mail if my primary explodes/crashes/goes offline?

It doesn't have to move hundreds of thousands of messages, just queue mail
up and forward it on to my primary when it comes back up, without opening
me up to abuse by spammers and the like. Ideally, I would be able to just
turn it on and forget about it for a year or two.

Is there such a thing, or am I dreaming? Any pointers appreciated.

Tom Wiebe

The Image Foundation
http://www.imagefoundation.com/
(604) 688-3124