Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 1998 23:18:23 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        chuckr@mat.net, mike@smith.net.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ficl

Mike Smith wrote:
> >  I'm not really sure what you mean by "net devices"
> > either - how does one configure and use a typical NIC from the BTX
> > environment?
>
> BTX has nothing to do with it.  Again, there's no low-level NIC support
> in the i386 code at the moment, but basically you provide a low-level
> hardware driver, and then the IP stack in lib stand does the Bootp
> Thing.  From there, it's just another device, eg.
>
>  'load net:/kernel'
>
> will do "what you expect it to do".

Intel has been working on a PXE (Preboot Execution Environment)
specification which offers access to a NIC through something called
UNDI (Universal Network Driver Interface).  At one stage this seemed
to promise BIOS support at a fairly similar level to the PC int 0x13
services provided for hard drives.

Unfortunately, the spec has mostly been too fluid and confused (the
entire API changed at least once) to warrant taking very seriously.

--
Robert Nordier