Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 08:56:53 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>
To:        John Angelmo <john@veidit.net>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: increasing throughput

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, John Angelmo wrote:

> I was thinking of cunstructing a small routerbox in my sparetime.
> Now since FreeBSD is my choise of OS i was thinking of a small box
> silent box.
>
> So how can I combine speed, size, silence and price?
>
> I was thinking of vias small buget systems (via Eden) and to that
> an extra intel pro 10/100 NIC

You may also consider Soekris boxes, especially if you need a fan-less
configuration. People use them for routers and firewalls. Some OpenBSD
and FreeBSD documentation and software is available. You can probably
find some performance measurements as well or ask on Soekris mailing
list: http://www.soekris.com/

I am not associated with Soekris; we are just happy customers.

Alex.