Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 07:58:05 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Copyright law, again...

Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org> types:
> On Thu, 24 May 2001, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> :So?  So her essential point, which you will not understand since you
> :refuse to read the thing except what I quote at you (and only
> :selectively at that -- you ignored the next quote I supplied), is that
> :the "general public" has not benefited for over 100 years from the
> :modifications to copyright law.  They do not sit at committees; their
> :interests are not represented.  It is a monopoly of content producers,
> The point of copyright and patent law is not to benefit the general public
> directly, but to spur art and science in the interest of long term
> progress.

Of course, the point of long term progress is to benefit the general
public. The laws that she is indicting were - and are - being created
by a process in which the general public has no say. While they
technically have a say via their representatives in the government,
those representatives generally just rubber-stamp proposals from the
people providing them with campaign funds. The result is easy to
predict, and has been repeated in a number of areas of law: those
writing the laws rip off the public until some members of the public
gets offended and start complaining.

	<mike