Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 2015 20:53:06 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        dweimer@dweimer.net
Subject:   Re: smbfs crashes since approx. 10.1-RELEASE

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 5:00 PM, dweimer <dweimer@dweimer.net> wrote:

> On 2015-10-05 5:16 pm, Rick Macklem wrote:
>
>> Christian Kratzer wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I run a regular rsync job that runs from cron and copies stuff that gets
>>> created on a Windows smbfs share.
>>>
>>> Starting about 10.1-RELEASE the VM has become unstable and started
>>> panicing.
>>>
>>> I have narrowed the issue down to the aforementioned rsync job.
>>>
>>> When I move the job to a different VM the the other VM starts crashing
>>> and
>>> the VM without the job becomes stable agin.
>>>
>>> I have panics and crashinfos stored in /var/crash if anybody is
>>> interested:
>>>
>>>      root@noc2:/var/crash # uname -a
>>>      FreeBSD noc2.cksoft.de 10.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE #0
>>> r286666: Wed
>>>      Aug 12 15:26:37 UTC 2015
>>>      root@releng1.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>>>      root@noc2:/var/crash # freebsd-version -u
>>>      10.2-RELEASE-p5
>>>      root@noc2:/var/crash # freebsd-version -k
>>>      10.2-RELEASE
>>>

> Shouldn't the kernel version also be 10.2-RELEASE-p5? Perhaps the user
> land being different than the kernel is causing an issue?
>
> root@freebsd:/home/dweimer # uname -a
> FreeBSD freebsd.dweimer.local 10.2-RELEASE-p5 FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE-p5 #1
> r288512: Fri Oct  2 13:54:14 CDT 2015 dweimer@freebsd.dweimer.local:/jails/devel/ROOT/usr/obj/jails/devel/ROOT/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> amd64
> root@freebsd:/home/dweimer # freebsd-version -u
> 10.2-RELEASE-p5
> root@freebsd:/home/dweimer # freebsd-version -k
> 10.2-RELEASE-p5
>
> --
> Thanks,
>    Dean E. Weimer
>    http://www.dweimer.net/

Probably not.

If freebsd-update is  used and the update does not change the kernel, the
kernel is not touched and remains at the prior level. If built from
sources, even though the kernel is identical, the kernel version is bumped.
I just confirmed that none of the updates to 10.2-RELEASE appear to update
the kernel.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com