Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 20:57:14 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        stox@imagescape.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reading DAT tape with audio data

"Kenneth P. Stox" writes:

> The only DAT drives I know of that support audio are SGI's with "special"
> firmware loaded.

All SGI OEM Seagate DDS drives are supposed to have the special
firmware. I have heard of open source efforts to make use of these
features outside of SGI Irix.

About a year ago I mounted some aftermarket Seagate Scorpion DDS-3
drives on an SGI O2, and if I remember right, "mt stat" reported the
drives were audio capable just like Genuine SGI. Though that was
strange at the time. None of the SGI drives had built-in D/A
converter and audio outputs the way CDROM drives do.

While I've had lots of SGI systems (no longer work there) with genuine
SGI DDS drives, I've never had a DAT audio tape so I've never played
with SGI's multimedia DDS/DAT abilities.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net