Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:00:08 GMT
From:      Denny Lin <dennylin93@cnmc32.hs.ntnu.edu.tw>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/138672: ISO 3166 call Taiwan a wrong name, please call Taiwan "Taiwan" as before.

The following reply was made to PR conf/138672; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Denny Lin <dennylin93@cnmc32.hs.ntnu.edu.tw>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, linpct@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 18:39:12 +0800

 --IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

 The term "Province of China" is polictically biased as mentioned in the
 Debian mailing list. Those who are familiar with the history of Taiwan
 should know that China has never been in control of Taiwan since the
 establishment of the Republic of China, the current governent that
 resides in Taiwan.

 The only reason the term exists is because of political pressure from
 the People's Republic of China. In every aspect, Taiwan is an
 independent country comparable to the United Kingdom, United States,
 Canada, and Australia. I also remember that there is an on going lawsuit
 trying to correct the country code in ISO 3166.

 Now the question is whether we should allow politics interefere with the
 FreeBSD Project. I am of the opinion that we shouldn't be politically
 biased.

 --=20
 Denny Lin

 --IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o