Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 2016 01:25:51 -0800
From:      NGie Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
To:        Joe Nosay <superbisquit@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Now I am aware

> On Jan 19, 2016, at 09:21, Joe Nosay <superbisquit@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> of how self-centered and selfish all of you are.

(Removing @FreeBSD.org hat and also removing some of the individuals on =
the mailing lists and moving the public mailing lists to BCC)
Hi Joe,
	It=E2=80=99s difficult proposing things like you are and have =
been in the past (especially when the world is very much driven by =
currency). I thought that the idea was a noble social endeavor, even if =
it was a bit rough planning wise to commit resources to in what you had =
presented. The FreeBSD community (in and of itself) has a limited number =
of resources tackling several issues on multiple fronts (many of which =
might be encouraged/driven by our employers), and not all of us might =
have your interests and ideas in mind for FreeBSD (diversity of =
thought). My focus and interests in FreeBSD are stability, quality of =
the operating system, testing, repeatability, etc. My days of tinkering =
with Unix on a desktop or laptop (anything non-ChromeOS, non-OSX, or =
non-Windows, e.g. FreeBSD, Linux, OpenSolaris) came to an end a couple =
years ago because I=E2=80=99ve found that running Unix (in particular =
X.org based Unix) is a time sink that I no longer am interested in =
committing to (I=E2=80=99ve run Fedora/Gentoo Linux on desktops/laptops =
with limited success as well as FreeBSD with limited success on laptops =
over the years [*]), especially when other vendors (Adobe in particular) =
look at Unix and decide to decommission support for their products.
	Outside of my =E2=80=9C9-5=E2=80=9D (in reality 10+ hour days), =
I focus on friends and social and political issues that have been =
impacting communities that I=E2=80=99m a part of (LGBT issues, =
#blacklivesmatter issues, housing issues in Seattle, etc), as well as =
myself personally (self-care is a good thing to practice to avoid =
emotional, mental, and/or physical burnout).
	Like I recommended before in private, I think you need to find =
the right audience of people who understand and have similar interests =
in what you=E2=80=99re trying to achieve in order to discuss and =
cultivate your ideas with, and bring it to the maturity that it needs to =
be at in order to be accepted and adopted. Having a team of advocates to =
work with will help with your endeavor. What you=E2=80=99ve proposed =
before is not a simple undertaking: it involves several moving parts =
that aren=E2=80=99t currently available as well as a vision to drive =
these from design to end-result, unless you have an engineering =
organization that you can fund (or lots of sports drinks and long =
sleepless nights to commit to in order to achieve the work=E2=80=A6 but =
beware =E2=80=94 this leads to burnout).
	I really hope whatever living situation you=E2=80=99re dealing =
with improves. I can empathize with it having been exposed to several =
friends and acquaintances who=E2=80=99ve been at the short end of the =
stick lately housing wise in the Seattle area.
Take care and I wish you the best, whatever the outcome.
-NGie

* The best laptop experience I=E2=80=99ve ever had was FreeBSD on an =
ASUS Netbook 4 years ago, which (unfortunately) was completely =
underpowered and underspec=E2=80=99ed (all of my other laptop =
experiences have been utter failures due to proprietary drivers, lack of =
suspend/resume, reliable wireless support, etc). It couldn=E2=80=99t =
build FreeBSD ports reasonably, and the wired NIC port wouldn=E2=80=99t =
properly reset the PHY every time I unplugged the cable on it (so once I =
unplugged the CAT6 cable it would stop transmitting data). Eventually I =
donated the Netbook to someone else because I had far too many computers =
to split my attention between. On the bright side, I got it to do source =
builds, wireless, suspend and resume (on i386 which was unheard of back =
then=E2=80=A6 thanks jkim@!!), and fluxbox on a tiny 12=E2=80=9D screen =
=E2=80=94 which was better than PCBSD at the time :)!=