Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:11:46 +0100
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   netd in free(): warning: junk pointer, too low to make sense.

Hi!

I'm experiencing some strange errors with one of our workstations. I
recently moved all of our workstations to 3.0 current as of 1998-12-18.
Does any of this make any sense to anyone:

trumpet:~>rlogin balalaika
netd in free(): warning: junk pointer, too low to make sense.
trumpet:~>telnet balalaika
Trying 1.2.3.4...
Connected to balalaika.partitur.se.
Escape character is '^]'.
inetd in free(): warning: junk pointer, too low to make sense.
inetd in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.
inetd in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.
inetd in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.
inetd in free(): warning: junk pointer, too low to make sense.
inetd in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.
inetd in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.
inetd in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.
inetd in free(): warning: junk pointer, too low to make sense.
inetd in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.
inetd in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.
inetd in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.
inetd in free(): warning: junk pointer, too low to make sense.
inetd in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.
inetd in free(): warning: junk pointer, too low to make sense.

FreeBSD/i386 (balalaika.partitur.se) (ttyp2)

login: username

Ok... I get in... If I'm lucky. Sometimes not at all.

Besides, it acts a little strange. For example, here's what newsyslog
told me recently:

newsyslog: preposterous process number: 77243
newsyslog: log not compressed because daemon not notified

Restarting inetd fixes the problem with rlogin/telnet, but it is bound
to come back within a day or so.

My guess is that this started when we started using samba on the
machine, for sharing some simple stuff to windows machines. The samba
has probably not been recompiled since our elf transition (our server
uses
the same binaries, and serves them via nfs to the troubled machine), so
there shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, I fetched the brand new 2.0 port
of samba, but still have problems. I haven't modified the smb.conf,
though.

It seems at first that it is the inetd that has some kind of memory
leak, but I really don't like that idea.

Well... Any ideas appreciated. Get back if you need more input.

uname -a:
FreeBSD balalaika.partitur.se 3.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT #1: Thu
Jan  7 01:16:11 CET 1999
girgen@trumpet.partitur.se:/disk3/src/sys/compile/WORKSTATION  i386

Oh, one more thing: There are five machines installed from the same
build (built on the server, installed to all the boxes). The others work
just fine.

Regards,
Palle