Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 1998 09:45:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@goldsword.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: Looking for...

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998 20:35:31 -0700 Ulf Zimmermann said:
>On Thu, Oct 01, 1998 at 09:50:39PM -0400, Andrew Webster wrote:
>> I'm looking for an ISDN dual channel type modem that would either have
>> 	- 2 Serial ports or 1 ethernet jack
>> 	- Receive V.34 / V.90 or ISDN calls on either one or both channels
>>
>> The USRobotics I-Modem only has 1 serial port, so it's kinda useless.
>>
>> I guess the nearest equivalent would be a 2 port Livingston PM-3.
>
>http://netgear.baynetworks.com/
>
>Look for RT328 ISDN Router. Cost $269 at several places. Has U Interface,
>2 POTS, AUI and TP.

Ulf,

Read the question again.  He's looking for a box that will physically
connect to an ISDN BRI line _and_ accept ISDN or analog calls (upto v.90)
as a host.  As a "modem box" the nearest equiv. is the 3com/USR MP-8/i
box.  Handles 4 BRIs, accepts ISDN or analog calls & presents them on
8 async serial ports.  The nearest "ethernet" box that I know of would
be the Ascend Max1800 with a digital modem card in it.

Does anybody have experience with using MVIP bus or similar
Computer-Telephony cards under FreeBSD?  I've often thought that a nice
low-density RAS system could be built around FreeBSD and some of these
cards.  It would require one or more cards to interface to BRI or PRI
circuits, a pot of DSP-based digital modems, and some processing power
to switch incoming call to either the modems (analog calls) or ISDN
calls to another sub-system (Ascend calls them HDLC processors).

John