Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 11:53:27 -0700
From:      Amancio <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. the rest of the world, poor OS comparison on web p

For the first time, I installed slackware3.3  on my spare ide drive.
For starters, I was totally confused by the installation procedure,
had to make boot floppies, and read the arcane installation instructions,
it sort of reminded me of 386bsd. After I install the system, I went on
to build a kernel -- interesting approach to config the kernel :
make config which asks you a bunch of questions --- all of the sudden
the  Freebsd config file seem like a 21 first century super duper
kernel configuation database 8)

Not sure if linux has a network install package however I couldn't
find it.

I timed the kernel compilation it was about 4:46 vs 3:54 Freebsd current
and I tried to trim down the linux kernel to something similar to the
freebsd configuration.

The linux installation is on  very fast ide which at least according to
iozone is faster than my scsi disks where I have freebsd on.

Slackware left me with the impression that it was too slanted to
hackers and for the life of me I can't figure out why people
prefer linux to Freebsd -- it seems that Freebsd will be easier
on newbies.

	Cheers,
	Amancio